Concept Mapping and Education

First off, thank you to the group for putting together a great presentation.  I throughly enjoyed the readings and the activities that were selected.

Concept Mapping in the classroom definitely has a purpose for all types of learners, but I believe that in order for this tool to be utilized to its full potential, students still should understand what it means to be a good notetaker.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have my elementary students take notes all day every day, but we do work on selecting what information should be recorded to make a proper “note.”  When students begin to see what important information should be recorded such as (for example): dates, names, or definitions, then they can begin to understand that everything that is written or explained by someone doesn’t necessarily have to be recorded down in their books.

We know that students learn in different ways. Some students find that writing down everything works for them, while others need to record a visual to help retain ideas.  Using Concept Maps follows a similar pattern to note taking, you can’t just assume students are going to know that they have to bold letters, use various colours or draw arrows to connect ideas.  Using graphic organizers before jumping directly into concept maps I found to be way to introduce the idea.  Various templates can be selected for students to use and it helps to visualize the potential connections between ideas and the students can choose to be creative and highlight/colour in the bubbles.

Using technology to support concept maps does allow for the map to be neatly presented, but when some schools don’t have the daily access to computers or what not, they are limited to the amount of time that can be spent on mapping activities.  If some schools only have access to technology once a week ( a shame, but it happens all the time), the purpose and the concepts described within the map has the potential to be lost completely.  Many of the concept mapping tools that are available do require personal information to be inputed, this is also problematic for privacy laws within the school system especially for educators who teach students younger then 13 (usually the age minimum).

I see concept mapping as another tool to provide our learners with in their utility belts.  By providing more choice/options for the learner to represent knowledge and understanding, we allow for the learner to choose how they want their learning to be represented  for others to see, allowing for personalization of the learning experience.

Posted in: Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning